Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jar of Hearts

Call me old fashioned, but I just don't get the whole 'Sex and the City' mentality.  You know the type... They collect phone numbers from guys and juggle them like toys.  Their cell phones are always ringing and they never have a night alone.  I'm sure that you've known someone like that.  Men do the same thing, and although I don't think it's right, it is more accepted.  I don't have much respect for people engage in this kind of behavior, whether they're men or women.  I don't understand it and I think it's quite selfish. 

After going on a couple dates recently, I've come to realize that I'm just not wired like other women.  I'm sure there are some of us out there who think the way I do, but it seems like the vast majority of people treat this dating thing like it's a game.  That's all fine and dandy when you're 20, but by the time you're reaching for 30, your focus should have shifted at least a little.

I don't want my phone blowing up with 10 different guys calling and texting me.  Frankly, it's just too exhausting.  I don't want to have to keep with with it.  I don't want anyone else to do it to me.  I don't want to have to compete with a bunch of hussies for some lame guy's attention.  I'd rather be single.  I'm not out to collect suitors.  In fact, I'm not really interested in dating that much at all.  When someone worthwhile comes along, great.  Booty calls definitely aren't in my vocabulary anymore.  That chapter in my book is closed.

I know this blog makes me sound a bit like a prude.  As I get older and wiser, I suppose I am getting more conservative.  I still have a wild side, I just keep it wrapped up waiting for the right person instead of just letting it rip for whoever happens along.  There's nothing I'd like better than one special person that I can have my wild and crazy moments with.  I just think that sort of thing is earned over time.  A guy has to work for it now, not just show up.  It's not that I don't like him enough, it's that I like myself too much.  Too much for me to show all my cards on the first date, too much to juggle around a bunch of sorta okay guys instead of focusing on one really great one.  Until he comes along, I'm not going to be collecting a jar of hearts.

*Thanks to Christina Perri for today's blog title (from the song Jar of Hearts).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment