Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lists and Lists and Lists

A couple years ago, on my previous blog, I wrote a 'bucket list' in two parts.  I think it's good to have one, and although I haven't checked anything off it yet, I know that these are the things I want to work toward.  I went back and revisited it, and I found that some of the things that used to be on there were no longer things I really cared that much about.  For instance "walk down the aisle" has been deleted.  Not because I don't want to ever get married, but because I'll do it when and if the time is right, not because it's on a list of things I have to do before I kick it. 


I'm a notorious list maker.  I never, ever go on a trip without making a list of things I need to pack.  I can't conceive of going to the grocery store without a list.  It's not that I'm not spontaneous, because I am.  It's just that in some cases, I'd rather be prepared.  So I guess life is a good situation to be prepared for, hence the list.  I hate calling it a bucket list because of that Morgan Freeman/Jack Nicholson movie.  I'd rather just call it what I called it before that movie came out:  The List.  Here's the revised version (in no particular order).



    * Tour Italy.  The entire country, not just Rome and Venice.

    *  See the Grand Canyon and take the hokey donkey ride to the canyon floor and back.

    * Fly a plane solo.

    *  Drive the entire length of the Pacific Coast Highway.

    * Have one complete tasting course at The French Laundry in Napa Valley, CA.

    *  Drive on the Autobahn.  (That's my manly wish).

    *  Go parasailing.

    *  See the Great Wall of China.

    * Get a tattoo that says “one step at a time” across the top of my right foot.

    * Go to Greece… Especially Athens.

    * See the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.

    * See The Barenaked Ladies in concert.

    * Eat the Southern Buffet at The Lady and Sons in Savannah.

    * Learn to do a proper tango.

    * Go to a Cirque du Soliel show.

    * Go on a sunset sail on one of the tall ships in Key West.

     * Swim with dolphins.

    * Visit Vietnam.

    * Go to Charleston, SC.

    * Get some of my writing published properly (not just in blog form).

    * Go on a safari in Africa.

    * Eat tapas in Spain.

    * Cook in a professional kitchen, even if just for a day.

    * Visit the place where my family settled in the New World, Hyde Park and Margaretville, New York.

    * Go on the Ferris wheel at Navy Pier in Chicago.

    * Get my degree.

    * Get away from it all in Fiji.

    * Take a cruise through the Panama Canal.

    * Go to Alaska.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! I have a travel only list... but now I'm thinking I may have to add other things to it and post it. :)

    ReplyDelete