Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Power of A Thank-You Note

It's a lost art, the thank-you note. I feel like an old lady saying that, but I have to say that it's true. People don't write them anymore, sadly. What's happened to us as a society? My mother used to sit me down and make me write thank-you notes the day after Christmas to every single person who gave me a gift or sent me a check, no matter how big or small. Birthdays were the same, along with any other occasion that warranted a gift, flowers, candy, balloons, etc. If someone thought enough of me to give me some of their hard earned coin, the least I could do was acknowledge it. I grew up in the South, to a decidedly Southern mother. It's in our nature as Southern ladies to show Southern hospitality. Part of that is respecting people's time and money. I think it's an important trait to pass down to your kids. My someday-to-be sister-in-law has shown her (absolutely adorable) three year old daughter, Lily, how to write thank you notes already. I'm sure that at this stage in her life it doesn't mean much more than coloring on something that she gets to give to her friends and family, but at some point in the near future it will start to click that the people she's doing this for really appreciate it and are pleasantly surprised by the kind thought.

The sad part about the thank you note is that I long ago stopped expecting to get them. From anyone. I really feel like this is a sad state of affairs. The up side (if there is one) is that on the rare occasion that I do happen to be on the receiving end of a thank you note, it's like winning the scratch off lottery. You win one every once in a while, and it's enough to brighten you up for a bit. It reminds you that some people out there haven't forgotten their Southern roots. And really, it's not just being from the South. It's about having good manners. Is that really too much to ask? I think not.

I think I'm just getting old...

No comments:

Post a Comment